Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 180

Thread: New Altec speaker boxes Part 2

  1. #141
    Senior Hostboard Member
    New Altec speaker boxes Part 2


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the options idea bears merit. I would worry about having to inventory more parts, and if different input connectors would require different hole cuts. Such little things can drive you bankrupt, believe it or not. Most businesses don't fail because of too little inventory, they fail because of too much. Best option is suppliers who can deliver fast.
    For me it would be easy, Parts Express does wholesale accounts and 1 day away by UPS.

    I would keep a sample and maybe a minimal inventory on hand.

    Be careful not to offer too many options. We Americans, especially us older ones with the cash, tend to have short attention spans. Too much will just confuse us.

    Of course, if somebody knows what they want, no problem, just a slight extra fee. The other mistake I made early on was throwing in too much free stuff- at least cover your costs. Costs will sneak up and bite you.

  2. #142
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think this falls into a catagory that will baffle me for ever. You can please some of the people some of the time!
    No matter what your final decision is there will always be someone who will say you "SHOULD HAVE" done this or that.
    You could easily drive yourself crazy and bankrupt with various changes to XO caps, wires, binding posts, stuffing materials, finish variations and a host of other optional offerings.
    Tweekers will always have differing opinions and my thought is to give them a good solid product and let them make any changes they want afterwards.
    In my other woodworking business the changes customers make half way thru a job always turn into nightmares and are almost alway very costly.

    Gary

  3. #143
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    gamalot is right, but consider all of the available options and suggestions, and then make your best decision with the available info at the time. 2nd guess and 20/20 hindsight, blah!

  4. #144
    Inactive Member bigjunglejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    241
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My plans are to have finished boxes packed for shipping at the factory. There will be no options offered.

    I was wondering if I should provide the boxes without grills or grill mounting hardware. Anyone wanting grills can make their own or order them from me as a aftermarket item.

    I plan to offer grills with different coverings as after sale options (like buying custom wheels for your car). I will cover grill frames with custom ordered or customer provided grill cloth. I also want to offer bases that can be added by the consumer. Both, custom grills and bases will fit both mine and original Altec cabinets. I will have the frames made and do the custom work myself or offer the frame without cloth for the consumer to do his own work. All this will be custom and the prices will reflect this special attention. The way I see it, why make everyone pay for the special attention required by a few.

    I just talked with Bill at GPA. The crossovers that come with his new 604's screw down inside the box and comes with 14 ga wire. They do not mount as the originals did nor are there any knobs like the original Altec XO's.

    I want to keep the boxes as Altec designed them, with the cut out for the Altec XO's. If Bill's XO's are used or someone wants to bi-amps the speakers, the boxes will be ready to go with a plate covering the XO cutout plus good wires and the two pairs of binding posts already installed. High end flexibility built in at the factory.

    I'm sure no matter what I do, "tweekers" will do their own thing. This is a good thing.

    What do you think?

  5. #145
    Inactive Member bigjunglejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    241
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This thing is taking it's time getting off the ground.
    Here's more on the 5 way binding post I intend to have installed at the factory.

    The Bi-Wire Cup has a 3 3/4 x 4 3/8 rectangular flange and requires a 2 7/8 x 3 13/32 rectangular through hole. The cup has an extra set of ribs for rigidity, angled post mounts, is wide enough to accept very wide spades, and includes thick, gold-plated brass bi-wire straps.

    15

  6. #146
    Inactive Member bigjunglejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    241
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Fiberglass insulation, long-fiber wool, or polyester fiberfill. I hate doing anything with fiberglass. I have an unloaded Model 19. All I have to do is stick my arm inside without touching anything and I itch like crazy. I hate working with fiberglass... PERIOD. I'd like to hear from some of our gurus about using posyest fiberfill vs fiberglass for damping material.

  7. #147
    Inactive Member bigjunglejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    241
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OOPS... make that "polyester fiberfill".

  8. #148
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Doesn't itch, but requires a much higher stuffing density to match fiberglass, so you will have to experiment to get the same cab 'tone'.

    GM

  9. #149
    HB Forum Owner tomt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2003
    Posts
    5,483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by selmerdave:
    I did just read the Roger Russell article, and found nothing illuminating or new there. Same argument made.

    Dave
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">same here.

    however, nelson pass wrote this some years back-

    http://www.passlabs.com/downloads/articles/spkrcabl.pdf

    and malcolm hawksford proved, mathematicly,

    why cables sound the way they do-


    http://www.stereophile.com/reference/1095cable/

    or here

    http://www.essex.ac.uk/ese/research/...lications.html

    scroll down, for 'The Essex Echo'

    the 'guys that don't know higher order math'

    can not find out why people hear more or less.

    3808

  10. #150
    Senior Hostboard Member
    New Altec speaker boxes Part 2


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by tomt:

    the 'guys that don't know higher order math'

    can not find out why people hear more or less.

    [/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Horse puckey Tom.



    Nobody, at least not me, said all wire sounds the same. I said I don't believe it unless you can prove it.

    I stand by what I said- 99% of wire claims are pipe dreams by marketers. Doesn't mean all claims are, but most manufacturers flat out lie.


    Let's see you do some of that high order math and explain what point you are trying to make.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.